Thursday, January 1, 2009

Good-bye 2008!

I am usually pretty indifferent about welcoming in a new year- basically because I've never had enough to complain about that would warrant being super-excited about the new year. Until 2008. While I have plenty to be thankful for in 2008 (like purchasing our home, loving my job, making awesome friends (and keeping the already awesome ones in my life), the year also handed us the death of D's grandpa and the death of my only surviving grandparent- Nanny. It was hard to see these lives come to an end. Looking back...

2008: Year in Review
January: Make first offer on house (lost out to last-minute bidder)
February: Loss of D's grandpa
Offer accepted on house
March: Loss of Nanny
Close on house
April: Close friend's father finds out he has cancer
Move into house
May: Friends are moving back to Philly
Other friends are moving to San Diego
End of first year teaching
June: Two amazing couples move away
Rocket goes back to Rescue organization
July: July 4th fireworks (lame, I know)
Nephew A was born
August: Girls Weekend
Friend's parents are divorcing
Start school
September: Philly friends come for visit
Football!
October: First Trick-or-Treating in our new home
November: Birthday weekend
December: First Christmas in our new home
Philly friends and San Diego friends come to visit

Now that I've written all that has happened in 2008, I'm reminded of how God took care of us in all of this. I remember how our house was an answer to prayer. I remember the sadness I experienced last Spring and the comforting I felt that can only come from His peace. I'm reminded of the peace I felt when we had to give Rocket up. I remember the days our friends moved away, as well as the comforting He gave me as the tears poured... those text messages back and forth definitely helped too! God has taken care of us- He has been my Comforter. He has given me peace. He has blessed us in so many ways.
Thank you Lord for helping me see that through this posting.

5 comments:

Magan @ Rather be Reading said...

ah, Les. What a year it has been. I'm almost in tears as I read through the list of things that has happened. When I look at the list, it seems as though time went by soooo slowly, but when I actually stop to think about the year, it feels like everything has happened so quickly. Cheers to a great 2009....

Magan @ Rather be Reading said...

ps: love the new background...

Les said...

Thanks! I finally figured out how to do it.

lissie said...

i
am
shocked!!

you're back!!!
it's kinda funny...i basically stopped blogging over break and you finally started!
=)

i hope you're here to stay.

and happy new year, friend! i hope God fills this next one with lots of growth and joy!

Jenibug7 said...

yeah for leslie blogging!!!!