Saturday, January 10, 2009

First game of the season...

...the Upward Basketball season, that is. And we won! But that's not the important thing, is it? The girls had fun. They played really well for their first basketball game. I had fun yelling at advising the girls to get down court, to find their girl, to take the ball out, to not take the ball out, to dribble the ball, to pass the ball, to shoot, shoot, shoot!

I'm making it sound like I lost my voice with all the yelling, but with two games going on at the same time in the gym, we had to yell to be heard... and even then, it was still a guessing game as to whether they actually heard us or not. We= myself, B- the dad of one of the girls, and S- the mom of another girl. One of the challenges for the coaches was making sure the girls all had equal playing time. We had worked out a system before the game about what we were going to do, but the girls had a different plan. One girl, H, was so nervous that she made several trips to the restroom, sick to her stomach. I felt so terrible for her. She still played several of the 6 minute periods. We were all so proud of her. Another girl, M, walked off the court without the referees even seeing because she had hurt her arm. I don't know if we would have even noticed that we didn't have five girls out there had she not come to sit down on the bench. Did I mention that D was one of the referees? He was. I teased him before the game about all the things I was going to yell at him. I didn't have to. He was a good ref for the girls and helped us coach them on the court... because, let's face it- the girls could actually hear the refs.

All in all, our first game was successful- and I think I would say that even if we had lost. Yes, I just said that. Super-competitive, too intense for my own good Leslie just said that a game would have still been successful even if we had come away with one in the loss column. Progress? Well... let's not jump ahead of ourselves.

1 comment:

annemarye said...

haha, no wonder yall won if D was the referee. i kid, i kid. congrats! :)